Wednesday, 25 September 2013

Oia,Santorini Island, Greece: Atlantis Books

 

Santorini is an amazing, almost magical island. Oia is one of the most beautiful traditional villages located into the volcanic-rock cliffs. Atlantis Bookstore is located in a basement of one of Santorini’s white houses. I am very lucky that I can actually spend one or two weeks every summer visiting this place on vacation. I will post some photos taken recently from this small bookstore that was mentioned on an article on NY Times and it was picked as No 1 Bookshop  by the Guardian's Jeremy Mercer:


Here he chooses his 10 favourite bookshops from around the world."Bookstores are sanctuaries. Places to lose yourself, escape the harsh demands of daily life, find new ways to dream and new sources of inspiration. I love all booksellers; anybody who helps spread the word is doing noble work. But my favourite bookstores are the small eccentric independents run by passionate and usually slightly mad book lovers. These are some of the best."

1. Atlantis Books, Oia, Santorini Island, Greece

This is a dream of a bookstore. Perched on the cliffs of this volcanic island in a postcard-worthy Greek villa, it's run by an international collective of artists, writers and activists. As well as organizing theatre and open-air cinema, they set up programs such as the 'book donkey', which brings books to the local schools. I'll be living beside Atlantis for the first four months of 2006 to work on my next book.
Atlantisbooks.org

 Some Photos of Oia and the bookstore:




No comments:

Post a Comment